September 3, 2013

{ DIY Pallet Bookshelf }

I'd been wanting to make a pallet bookshelf for our bedroom for a long time!
I finally got some old pallets for free from work a few months ago, and Mikhal was able to disassemble them for me using this trick  I read about on Pinterest!  :) 
The neatly stacked pile of wood has been sitting in our driveway waiting for me for a while now, and we finally had the time to get started last weekend! 

First things first, a plan--of course! 
Then lots of selecting & measuring...

Then lots of cutting... 

Then, in order to make it a little less rustic, ;) I chose to do at least a general sand on all the pieces.

Proof that I did it myself. :) 
(Don't mind the Donald Trump hair!) 

Well  I did MOST of it myself. :) 

On of the shelves, finished! :) 

And all three! :) I love that there's a slight zebra texture on some of the boards. 

Like this one. :) 

Oh, did I mention that I got a new 50mm lens since my last blog post? :) I'm LOVING it! 

The bottom with the back pieces attached...

With both the bottom & top attached.. :) 

Then I didn't do a very good job documenting the next few steps; although I did try! I took some pictures, but didn't realize until too late that I didn't have a memory card loaded.  *sigh 

What was missed: 
-Adding the shelves
-More sanding (with a more fine grit sandpaper)
-Adding the aesthetic pieces on the fronts & sides


I'm SO SO SO SO happy with how it turned out! 

And here's how it looks in our room..
The before: 

And the after: 

Now it's just a matter of getting everything loaded into it in an artistic manner. :) I'm going to keep my eye out for some cute baskets to help store some miscellaneous items in. Can't wait to post one more follow up once I've got everything situated! :)